It’s 2019, the natural haircare wave has taken over and i’m pretty close to positive that we’ve all made an attempt at switching to “natural” haircare products whether we rock a fro or unit. That may be a stretch but seriously everyone and every company has ridden this trend, but why? Why did you make the switch personally? Most will say because its seems healthier for their hair or that they want their hair to grow faster and stronger, something along those lines but that just isn’t the biggest concern with toxic products! Hair grows, hair grows untouched, with toxic and with non-toxic products use, it’s just a given. Of course less damaging chemicals means healthier hair growth and retention but what about your health? Do we buy natural haircare to turn and still wash our bodies in DOVE soap? If so then we’re missing the point.
In 2008 more than 46% of products labeled “natural” were found to contain known cancer causing carcinogens. The word “natural” is not regulated therefore has no real meaning so I’m going to teach you how to weed out the fakes simply by reading the ingredients. Let’s begin…
- A synthetic petrochemical
- May interfere with human development
- Contain dioxane, a cancer causing carcinogen also known for disrupting kidney function
- Contains ethylene oxide, also a known carcinogen used as nerve gas in WWI.
- Banned in numerous countries
Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate or Sodium Laureth Sulfate
- Most products brag about not containing sulfates because of the bad wrap, we are commonly aware of now
- Sulfates are strong chemical detergents the strip the oils from your hair and scalp
- Carry hormone disrupting agents
- Many contain dioxane as well
- A xenoestrogen, meaning it has a similar composition to the hormones found in our bodies
- Hormone disrupting chemicals pose a threat for cancer and infertility, a growing epidemic especially in the black community!
- British scientists have even found traces of parabens in breast cancer tissues, just think deodorants, lotions, haircare, perfumes all contain parabens unless specified otherwise
- One of the hardest to give up, trust me I know! But essential oils and products scented with pure essential oils are much safer and will always specify in the ingredients list
- The is no ingredient lists for how the fragrance company makes the scents however Natural Society says over 3100 chemicals are used by the industry unregulated by the FDA, there is no telling what’s in them
- Personal Experience: I had really bad hormonal imbalances forever while using conventional toxic, fragrant products, I stopped use and have not had these issues for about a year now
- An antibacterial agent used as a preservative
- An endocrine disruptor, harmful in the same way as xenoestrogens
- Linked to immune system problems, weight loss and uncontrolled cellular production
Blacks and African Americans suffer from kidney failure at a rate more than 3x higher than caucasians. More than 35% of patients in the U.S. receiving dialysis for kidney failure are black and we only make up 13.2% of the population. We all know of the breast, ovarian, uterus, skin cancer, etc. battles right now yet willingly soak ourselves in cancer causing products, literally from head to toe our entire lives. I like to think of making these changes as the difference between an individual smoking one cigarette a day and one pack a day, one burger a day or five big macs a day. Little changes breed big differences. We all die someday but noone wants to live sick so let’s just make a pact to take care of ourselves while we’re here, educate yourself then educate those around you. Peace and air-fried chicken grease yall ❤ Good follow up reads & studies: https://www.kidney.org/news/newsroom/factsheets/African-Americans-and-CKD https://www.bcpp.org/our-work/personal-care-products/ https://blog.nutrafol.com/2018/04/16/15-shampoo-ingredients-to-avoid/ Shop Little-Big Strands Co.